26 August 2007

posture

Friday was the big meeting. At the school (university) I work for there is an annual kick-off the new year meeting. Tbey called it a workshop, which seemed a bit curious to me. Basically, we sat there listening to talk after talk after talk.
Oh and we had a little comic relief as we performed our own University Musical. Very much the highlight of the day...
but here's what I've been thinking about:
How do we become people who feel so compelled to posture ourselves? Do you know what I'm talking about? It's that atmosphere in a conversation when you know that you're being sized up for what you do and how you do it. It's the inserted comments that provide a sense of boasting and allow for measurement. And what is it that drives us to feel as if what we do or more importantly who we are is not enough? Who decides that comparisons leave one person greater or more important than another? It definitely seems to defy the idea that blessed are the poor and blessed are the meek.

Despite that, I got to hang out with some really cool people. Kati and Chrissandra, pictured here, do "my" job in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, and trained me, too. So I'm their biggest fans. And was glad for the chance to interact with them face 2 face for a few hours. Big, sometimes boring, sometimes stuffy, important meeting or not!

6 comments:

Jewels said...

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Anonymous said...

probably lots of different and complex answers to your musings. here's a couple: maybe we need to be reminded of what we do well more often ... or we identify too much of who we are by what we do ... or some other extremely deep psychological truth ...

Anonymous said...

i think hildred hit on it with her comment about being told we do something well more often. generally speaking, we live in a very critical world. everyone functions better, is more confident, blah blah blah, when they feel secure and appreciated.

Gracie said...

Thanks, all, for your wisdom and comments.
I do think I continue to learn the lesson about identifying myself with what I do...

SeaSaw Mom said...

well, I've got to be up there on their fan list, too! (is this posturing, I must wonder?)
How I miss you all!
I struggle with this too - is it judging or simple observation? Is it humility or the desire to APPEAR humble? Is it trying to find answers or trying to find reasons? Hmmm...

Gracie said...

Awww, Katy, you definitely are. I should insert a picture right here if I knew how...
good questions...stop again and let us know the answers, would u???? :-)