10 June 2007

left behind

This is the petal of a dying peony.
It's amazing to me how much beauty remains in something that is dying.
I can marvel about such beauty for quite some time.
However, the truth is, the fading beauty grows at my friend's house. And we moved them out of that house this weekend.
I'm less excited about that.

"Losing" friends like this causes conflicting emotions. Part of me has wanted to shut them out of my life (or would that be shut myself out of their lives?) these last few months in protest (and denial) of their imminent move.
And in likely passive agressive, emotionally immature, and self-protecting moments I tried to do that.
But it did not save me from the loss. In fact, I only missed out on moments with them.
As it turns out, their move allows them to create and imagine new life, new experiences, new relationships, new house, etc.
And that should be such a fantastic thing to witness and celebrate.

I guess I'm not quite in the celebrative mode yet.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Dr. Seuss says, "Don't cry because it's over, be glad because it happened."

Ok, maybe you can cry and smile at the same time.